- This event has passed.
Seminar: EU-China Security Relations: From Convergence to Cooperation?
15/12/2016 - 16/12/2016
The Confucius Institute at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, the European Institute for Asian Studies (EIAS) and the Brussels Academy for China and European Studies have the pleasure of inviting you to a Briefing Seminar on the topic of “EU-China Security Relations: From Convergence to Cooperation?”
Over the past decade, the EU and China have expanded their relations from a dominant focus on economic and trade issues to the sphere of politics. As their shared interests and aims have grown over this time, issues of joint security concerns have become more prominent in their relationship, albeit more in the area of non-traditional security issues than traditional (military) ones and at the bilateral rather than at the global (e.g., United Nations) level. The event will bring together contributors from Europe and China and cover a range of areas in the field of EU-China security cooperation such as nuclear proliferation, international terrorism, cyber attacks, UN peacekeeping operations in Africa, among others.
- Prof. dr. Emil Kirchner, Jean Monnet Chair ad personam, Essex University, UK
- Prof. dr. Thomas Christiansen, Jean Monnet Chair, Maastricht University, The Netherlands
- Prof. dr. Han Dorussen, Department of Government, Essex University, UK
- Dr. Michael Reiterer, Principal Advisor/Ambassador, Asia and Pacific Department, EEAS
- Prof. dr. Weiping Huang, Jean Monnet Chair, Renmin University of China, Beijing
- Mr. Alberto Turkstra, European Institute for Asian Studies, Brussels
- Mr. Uwe Wissenbach, European External Action Service, Brussels
Moderator: Prof. Dr. Xinning SONG, Jean Monnet Chair ad personam, Renmin University of China/VUB
For registration, please click here.